Monday, January 09, 2012

One thing that Egyptian research has brought into my life is a love of learning languages. From the Hieroglyphs, Coptic and Hieratic of Egypt to the Greek and Latin that began our sources of Egypt to the German and French texts about early translation.... Egyptology requires a desire to explore language. One early text I found was a piece called "Totemism, Tattoo and Fetishism as Forms of Sign Language" by Gerald Massey. The book talks about Ancient Egypt as well as other cultures but in this whole paper one thing stuck with me. It was a minor portion, merely 2 pages in Gerald's work. The words for phrases like "my home' and "my tribe" are similar all around the world. The list he gave in his book includes:
Algonkin: Otem
Ottowa Indians: Odem
Ojibway: Daim
Sanskrit: Dama
Greek: Domos
Latin: Domus
Sclavonic: Domu
English: Dome
Zulu: Tumu
Maori: Tam
Scottish: Tom
Japanese: Tomo
Assyrian: Timi
Coptic: Tem
Ancient Egyptian: Tem-t
Aboriginal: Tumba

I look at this huge list and I am amazed. Though it is just a selection of the languages across the world the similarity is something that we can't ignore. How did so many of these words sound the same and have the same meaning. Though Massey doesn't address it, to my recall, in his works I have always seen this as an idea that the word for home/tribe must have been an early word. And that this word must have been spread with the spread of early languages.

This is one of those subjects I need to look into in the near future. I want to know the language lines for the word home/tribe over time.

A side not one these words above is that these words represent the roots of many words such as Kingdom in English and also words for community, city, town, men and gathering of people in many languages. The study of linguistic is one of the things I find fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment