Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Book Review

Never fear. I am still working on the post for snakes but the days have been getting busy. I am preparing for a ritual this weekend as well as teaching a class. I have also spent some time making an Ammit (Ammut) mask which I will share some pictures of later. In the meantime, while I am too busy to work on researching snakes I figured I would share another awesome kid's book.

This book is I Wonder Why the Pyramids Were Built and Other Questions About Ancient Egypt By Philip Steele. This book is part of the "I Wonder Why" series which is really awesome and includes books about history, culture, science and many other subjects. The whole series is well worth checking out.

The reason I like this book so much is that it teaches through interesting and bizarre facts which is almost always interesting to people. The book covers religion, everyday life and how to become an Egyptologist (Something most kids' books on Ancient Egypt leave out) One great part about this book is that the illustrations, both realistic and cartoons are interesting. There is also a focus on children in Egypt such as what games they would play. This book is well worth picking up to share with your children. You'll get answers to things like "Why did the Egyptians' shoes wear out?", "Who made mud pies?" and "What's the world's stalest bread?"

No comments:

Post a Comment